We are very proud to be supporting our Practice Manager in her next community project. Hannah has teamed up with the Torbay Surf Life Saving Club and Charity ‘Above Water’ to organise a fundraiser event and increase awareness surrounding water safety.
The fundraiser event ‘Mexican Summer Ball’ is taking place this Friday 29th June at Torquay Boys Grammar School.
With the summer upon us, now is as good time to consider the dangers of the open waters before heading out as we don’t always think about the risks when jumping into the inviting depths to cool off. Here are some top tips from the team at Above Water…
- Never swim alone, never let children swim without supervision;
- Always acclimatise to the conditions, never just jump in, cold water shock can kill;
- Look for signage/lifeguards/locals and follow any guidance;
- Try to swim parallel to the shore/bank, not away from it;
- Know your exit route;
- Be aware of underwater hazards;
- If you feel cold or tired, get out!!!
- Never swim after consuming alcohol or drugs;
- Try to swim in areas with supervision and rescue cover if needed;
- Have an awesome but safe time.
The Water Safety Charity – Above Water – LIFEGUARDS into Schools
he charity Above Water believes the best way to guard against drowning is to educate, by sending professional, open-water beach lifeguards into schools and communities.
Using the E.S.C.A.P.E WATER programme, they comprehensively deliver drowning prevention to local communities. They visit schools, community groups, workplaces, even your home and because they are a charity they can do this for FREE. Anybody can book one of their professional Lifeguards to deliver a drowning prevention session that best suits individual and geographical needs. Above Water started delivering drowning prevention sessions on the 1st September 2017.
What is the E.S.C.A.P.E Water programme?
The program has been constructed by ‘Above Water’ to promote drowning prevention. Each element is a fundamental water safety consideration influenced by 360,000 men, women and children dying each year.
EDUCATION to understand water and its surrounding environment.
SWIMMING & SURVIVAL to protect yourself in water.
CONFIDENCE in and around water.
FIRST AID from the effects of water.
PREVENTION all the skills you need when near water.
ENJOYMENT to get fun out of the water.